New ATM Fraud Alarm Your Kindness May Led You In Jail
This fraud usually occurs at the ATM galleries. An 18-year-old customer and another 'rich' adult customer were victims and now they have their BVN flagged for live and have cases to answer with the Police, and with their bank accounts on Post-No-Debit.
This is how it works;
1. You walk to an ATM and someone (fraudster) approaches you. The person may show you wads of cash and claim they have exceeded their withdrawal limit of 150k, and that they still need more cash. They then plead to make a money transfer into your own bank account so that you can withdraw it for them.
2. The TROUBLING thing in this seemingly harmless random act of kindness is that transfers are usually made from STOLEN PHONES or HACKED BANK ACCOUNTS!!!
3. The person who owns the bank account which the money transfer was initiated from would report to his bank, and the bank would send out a circular to the recipient's bank with instructions to be carried out - which usually includes freezing your own account, BVN flagging, and on most times an order for your apprehension.
4. The next thing you would discover is that the next time you try to use your ATM card to withdraw, your transactions will be unsuccessful.
5. You then go to your bank and you get the news. You will thank your stars if there's no MEMO to apprehend you and hand you over to the Police immediately - for something you surely don't know about. You may be advised to quickly go get a Police Report.
The 18-year-old boy was sent to withdraw money from his bank account by his Mom. On getting to the ATM, he was held at gun point by the fraudsters and the money transfer was made, money withdrawn, and he was released. The money here was 40k. The boy was advised to report himself to the Police, and he should follow up with the bank.